A floor plan which is also known as ‘Scottish plan’ is a view of a building floor taken by camera from above that completely defines the relationship between rooms and other architectural elements such as doors and stairs etc. of a floor. The foremost and principal motive of developing floor plan is to provide clarity to AEC professionals as well as to clients regarding floor design.
Process of creating basic floor plans in AutoCAD
- For developing floor plans in AutoCAD its users needs to ensure that they have all the architectural drawings at their disposal.
- AutoCAD users should also be equipped with standardized floor plan CAD files.
- Once they have everything in place, they need to open the program or open AutoCAD.
- The next step would be to open architectural construction drawings or CAD files of the floor in the software.
- AutoCAD users will find lots of details in them but what they need to do is to clean up everything that is not required.
- Users are now required to freeze the layers that are unimportant for them. By doing so users can get rid with all the unnecessary elements of the floor plan and this can now be easily transferred. The important layers which are required in the project include doors, stairs, walls, windows, and rooms tag layers.
- AutoCAD users are now required to copy all the crucial components from the architectural drawings so that they can be transferred to existing floor plan file.
- In the next step AutoCAD users should open the standardize floor plan CAD file. This plan will be considered as a template plan later on.
- Users should now past the already copied drawing components or floor plan into this template plan.
- Once the floor plan is pasted into template plan drawing, users should perform ‘save as’ so that the original file is not replaced with it.
- For creating uniformity, users are required to match attributes related to the layers of template plan and newly created plan.
- Delete all the unnecessary lines, headers, and column etc.
- Use ‘Polyline’ tool to create polygon outlines for every utilizable space in the floor.
- Users should now copy the room tags from template plan and edit them. Things such as room number and squire footage number should be edited.
- Once again delete all the unwanted elements from the drawing such as architectural room tags or arcs etc.
- Finally purge the drawings with the assistance of purge command.
- In the existing title block place the floor plan in the center for doing final adjustments. This end up the creation of floor plans in AutoCAD.