With rapid technical advancement and need to deliver quick turnaround time of construction projects, it has become imperative for contractors, consulting firms, and Architectural Design firms etc. to shift from CAD to BIM Modeling. BIM owing to its parametric modeling properties, ability to provide building data along with 3D geometry has compelled companies to make shift from cad drafting services to virtual construction modeling technology.
The advent of computers have brought about a revolution in the design industry. Designing on computers has changed the way that designers and architects work. With the availability of different software such as CAD and BIM software, professionals often face a dilemma while selecting the appropriate tool for the project.
Construction Operations Building Information Exchange (COBie) is a typical data format that is used to break up the details of a Building Information Model that typically provides the detailed report and sheet on the asset data of a building. This data is very different from 3d geometry.
This article will give an insight to construction professionals who work on extensive projects, large scale and Government projects and Private sector projects too.
COBie was developed by a group of agencies in the United States to improve the reporting the assets and other building data in an Excel format or any other tabular format for that matter.
COBie spreadsheet – Components
Building Construction projects have multiple details and information that needs to be listed and presented in form of “3D Geometry” and “Information” such as Bill of Materials, BOQ, part list etc. Such documentation usually is sent in PDF format or a simple excel sheet. But sometimes the format in which this document is submitted is not very organized and it becomes very tedious for the client to use this format and subsequently it increases the time frame of construction.
COBie is a methodology to combine all necessary and vital information in a common format may be an excel sheet or tubular software. This is also shared with the construction team and contractors in multiple stages of the construction phase. Client benefits a lot from LEVEL 2 BIM.
Be careful not to mistake COBIE for complete BIM Model. It is just a part of BIM Modeling process and ensures complete collated structured information provided by all the members who are actively participating in a construction process. Asset data or any other information that needs to be in an excel sheet is extracted from the BIM Model.
COBIE is currently not very widely used, however with the passage of time one will see a spurt in the requirement of COBIE and integrated facility management (7D) taking precedence to simple BIM Modeling. A lot of Indian BIM companies are trying to implement COBIE in their list of services.
Building information model costs and savings depends on many factors. Costs are based upon the level of detail of the model, the complexity of the project and the expertise of modeling team in the technology. The level of detail (LOD) can be categorized through system published by American Institute of Architect. LOD 100 is a conceptual stage. LOD 200 is approximate geometry stage. LOD 300 is precise geometry stage. LOD 400 is fabrication stage. LOD 500 is an as-built stage.
The main uses of BIM for construction managers include visualization, 3D coordination, prefabrication, construction planning and monitoring, quantity take offs, and recording model. Project savings are considered high if the Building Information Modeling is used during the early design phase. The architect and engineer can eliminate some of the coordination issues in LOD300 via BIM. Later, the subcontractor can provide more detailed shop and fabrication drawing as LOD 400. At this stage, a construction manager can coordinate the approval process of the shop drawings.
Furthermore, a construction manager can provide more detailed and accurate schedule and cost estimation as the LOD increases from 100 to 400. Lastly, record Building Information Model can be achieved in LOD 500.Overall, the different uses of BIM can be realized at different stages of LOD that would give cost savings.
The complexity of the project is related to the type of construction such as residential, institutional, healthcare and commercial. Building information models for residential construction can be simpler models. For healthcare and pharmaceutical projects, BIM would require better coordination for space due to the increased MEP and equipment required for the work. Hence how much BIM will be used depends on the type of construction.
The first time users of the BIM may feel a negative impact on their profitability due to a new investment in technology and learning that comes with it. The consistent participants of the Building Information Modeling are likely to obtain the benefits of BIM and a noticeable increase in their profits. Overall, the cost of the BIM and its supporting technologies can be expensive, to begin with. However, the powerful uses of BIM increase profits lower costs and the scheduling time.
A lot has been said and written about Building Information Modeling, or BIM since it first made its presence in the landscape of architecture, engineering and construction industry, but people still have doubts regarding it. They are still tremendously confused about its concept, wherein most of them believe that BIM is nothing but software.
Anyways, for those who still think that BIM is software or who have a lot of doubt about its whole idea, let me clarify to them by saying that it is nothing but a process. Yes, that is right, BIM is actually a process and not a software. BIM is such an important process, which is implemented for developing highly informative 3D models for different building disciplines such as architecture, structure and MEP. On the other hand the software products which are used for developing these multidisciplinary models are often addressed as BIM software. And the models which are generated for architecture, structure and MEP are known as Building Information Models.
A detailed account BIM Modeling services
1. BIM Modeling services are always carried out individually for each building discipline.
2. And these services are mostly executed with the support of specific BIM software such as Revit Architecture, Revit Structure and Revit MEP.
3. Each of these software products are accommodated with specific features and tools, which are meant to sort out the complications of architects, engineers and BIM modelers, when they go ahead with the execution of BIM Modeling services.
4. For example, Revit Architecture has all the important features, which are necessary for architects and modelers to create stunning and accurate architectural model, that can provide detailed design information to anybody and everybody associated with the project in question.
5. Similarly, Revit Structure also contains necessary features, which are essential for executing structural Modeling services, so that informative models can be generated for the structure.
6. Building Information Models provide ultimate information to architects and engineers concerning design, construction, schedules, material take offs, and time & cost of the project.
7. BIM models prove really essential for building stakeholders when it comes to speculating or calculating project outcomes.
And since they effectively allow building professionals to speculate project outcomes they also support them in minimizing potential onsite challenges
Building Information Modeling, which is abbreviated as BIM, is all about smart construction. I have often heard people asking questions like, what’s so important about BIM, that it rules the hearts of design and construction professionals. Well, the answer is, there is no such construction problem that doesn’t find its solution in Building Information Modeling.
Architects, engineers, fabricators, contractors, and owners etc., can find the solution of the problems associated with their work in BIM. Today it is really difficult for all these building professionals to function effectively without the support of Building Information Modeling, which is implemented in construction from the very commencement of the project.
It is used by project stakeholders for carrying out following activities.
Helps in planning actual construction
There won’t be anybody in the entire world, who would disagree with the fact that proper planning remains the main reason behind the successful execution of any type of construction project. No one can obtain proper results from the construction project if it is not planned accordingly. Successful planning is followed by successful onsite project execution. Here, everything related to budget, materials, and equipment to be used are effectively discussed.
Helps in creating design for architecture, structure, and MEP
The next important thing that is crucial for seamless construction remains the development of the precise design for architecture, structure, and MEP. In this case, as well BIM undoubtedly plays a very significant role. There are enormous software products, which are designed for supporting BIM such as Revit, Tekla, and Allplan, etc.
Resolves hard and soft clashes before construction
The next indispensable thing that is done with BIM’s support is the elimination of hard and soft clashes between building elements – this is carried out through clash detection process. In this case, Navisworks remains a crucial tool for AEC professionals.
BIM coordination gives the surety of error-free design
BIM coordination is a vital stage in BIM project execution process, wherein models created for separate building disciplines are combined together for recognising their level of accuracy and capacity to coexist i a specified environment. All sort of design impurities are properly fixed by design and construction professionals before combining the models.
Apart from that, reducing wastage, and saving time and money are other benefits of Building Information Modeling, which keeps on enhancing the efficiency of AEC professionals throughout project lifecycle.
The term ‘Architectural services’ includes an extensive range of services within it and all these services hold special importance for building stakeholders, when it comes to the overall construction of the building. For developing high performing buildings n number of (countless) architectural, structural and MEP solutions are required which are mostly availed with the assistance of architectural and engineering design firms.
Again for each building discipline multiple design and drafting solutions are required which allow design and construction professionals to get a detailed idea of design.
Check out the list of architectural services
- Architectural drafting services remain the fundamental requirement of architects as with their execution precise 2D architectural drawings are availed by them.
- Architectural drafting results in the production of immaculate site-plans, floor plans, elevations and sections etc.
- If incase only hand-made architectural drawings are available to clients then they can also avail paper to CAD conversion services for obtaining CAD drawings.
- 3D floor plan services are also highly indispensable part of architectural services as they provide exhaustive information about a floor.
- 3D architectural modeling services are again extremely important because they allow design and construction professionals to obtain better results in terms of design analysis and its improvement.
- 3D architectural models remains extensively indispensable to design and construction professionals when they have to execute clash detection services, as it provides better visibility to modelers in terms of identification of element collisions.
- The 3D architectural models as well as CAD drawings can be used by rendering artists for the development of realistic images.
- That means in the absence of architectural drawings and parametric models, architectural rendering services cannot be performed.
Family templates are very crucial for developing different types of architectural, structural and MEP components as they contain every bit of imperative information that is required by Revit technicians for starting family creation process. When Revit family creation services are executed by design and construction professionals they fallow a very systematic and organized method during which they first have to effectively plan the family.
Planning is a very important aspect of developing loadable families and in-place families as this leads to sorting out doubts regarding the shape, size and dimensions of going to be developed components.
Family template is chosen after following steps are effectively completed by users
- Revit technicians should find out all the information about the size and dimensions of the family.
- After that they should decide whether the component or the family (architectural, structural MEP component) which they are developing in family editor tool requires any host or not.
- Design and construction professionals should also have all the information about the display of the family in different views, as it largely affects the creation of geometry.
- Once all these things are decided effectively, design and construction professionals can easily select the right family template for developing loadable families and in-place families.
- When it comes to the selection of family templates, host-based family templates are used extensively by Revit users for the development of different kinds of architectural, structural and MEP components.
- Host based family templates are those family templates which provide crucial information to Revit technicians about the components which are hosted by them.
- For example, wall-based family template is a host-based template which provides extensive information about those elements which are hosted in a wall such as doors.
- That means when a door family is developed by Revit technicians, no other family template remains that crucial to them as wall-based family template.
So in this way if the family is effectively planned, Revit users automatically get to know which template should be selected by them.
In the United Kingdom, wherein construction sector is growing very rapidly these days, the government wants AEC industry to optimize Building Information Modeling for the execution of every single project by 2016. The government of UK is playing a very proactive role in its infrastructural development projects and strongly believes that by digitalizing design documentation things can be streamlined tremendously.
The government of UK is well aware of the potential benefits of Building Information Modeling, and hence it believes that its implementation can help in save approximately 15-20% of project cost. The government is spending huge sums of money in the execution of capital projects and hence wants to make best use of it with the implementation of BIM.
A few facts about the UK government’s construction strategy:
- Under UK government’s industrial strategy, it recognizes construction as a highly important sector.
- According to a report construction sector was accountable for generating huge revenue in the year 2010.
- Hence in the year 2011 the government came up with a proposal wherein it stated that both private and public sector construction projects must be executed with the implementation BIM by the year 2016.
- After this initiative was facilitated by the government, a large number of private players rapidly started using Building Information Modeling as a necessary construction strategy.
- In the UK both government and The Construction Industry Council are trying to encourage the implementation of Building Information Modeling in construction business for encouraging the productivity of the industry and for saving costs.
- It is believed that with the implementation of BIM, the asset cost can be reduced greatly whereas the operational efficiency can be enhanced.
- Last but not least, the UK is trying its best to optimize BIM in design, construction and operations of buildings.
Point clouds are indispensable aspect of point cloud modeling process wherein these are used for understanding the geometrical composition of an existing building that either requires renovation or refurbishment. Revit users must be proficient in tackling the technicalities of visibility related issues of point cloud as being competent in this can enable them in accomplishing their modeling process spontaneously.
For dealing with the visibility of point cloud Revit users take the assistance of Point Clouds tab that resides within Visibility/Graphics Overrides dialog. Visibility of point clouds can be switched on and off by users with the support of Point Clouds tab.
Correct way of dealing with visibility of point clouds
- It must be known to Revit users that all the parameters that are accountable for dealing with the visibility and graphics of point cloud in a view are incorporated within Point Cloud tab that is located under Visibility/Graphics Override dialog.
- This dialog box is instrumental in tackling the appearance of point clouds in a view by allowing users to make substantial changes in two important types of files which are .rcp files and .rcs files.
- When raw scanned data is indexed by Revit users they convert it into .rcp and .rcs files.
- When we talk about .rcp files they are the group of .rcs files.
- When changes are implemented in .rcp files it has the potential to affect all the scans within a project.
- However when changes are made to .rcs files which can be considered as individual scans nothing apart from them is affected.
- Within the Point Clouds tab two important columns are incorporated one is ‘Visibility’ and another is ‘Color Mode.’
- If in case users want to show the point cloud in a view they are required to select the check box within the Visibility column.
- Or if in case users want to hide a point cloud in a view they can clear the check box.
- However, Color Mode column is used for defining the color of point cloud in a view.
Visibility settings of a particular view can be saved by Revit users with the assistance of a view template. It can then be applied to other views as well.