The advent of computers have brought about a revolution in the design industry. Designing on computers has changed the way that designers and architects work. With the availability of different software such as CAD and BIM software, professionals often face a dilemma while selecting the appropriate tool for the project.
With the passage of time, humongous advancements have been made in the field of science and technology, which are eventually accountable for simplifying the complexities of human life. Today technology is ruling our lives tremendously, we cannot thing of surviving without computers, laptops and cell phones. Prior to the arrival or advent of all these communication tools, it used to be really difficult for us to communicate our thoughts or any sort of information for that matter to other, which eventually used to create enormous obstacles for accomplishing any task. Today, all kinds of business firms across the world are making huge benefits with the implementation of latest tools and technology.
Similarly, Architecture, Engineering and Construction industry has also started flourishing once architects, engineers, drafters, steel detailers and fabricators began using high-end tools and cutting edge technologies.
Check out the tools and technologies used in construction
- A lot of design and drafting software solutions have been introduced in the last few years and they are truly very advantageous for architects and engineers when it comes to design development.
- When it comes to drafting (the process of developing technical drawings for different building disciplines), there are lot of software which can be used by architects, engineers and drafters such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD and CorelCAD etc.
- With the assistance of above mentioned software, drafters and detailers can develop phenomenal technical drawings for architecture, structure and MEP.
- These software systems are used for the rapid or prompt development of comprehensive site plans, floor plans, working drawings, mechanical plans, electrical plans and plumbing drawings etc.
- Similarly, design and construction professionals have also started developing 3D models for different building disciplines for bringing more clarity on design.
- The software used for this purpose include Revit Architecture, Revit Structure, Revit MEP, Tekla, Allplan and ArchiCAD etc.
In short, with the introduction of high end CAD and BIM software in AEC industry, the challenges of developing high-performing buildings have really been reduced to a great extent.
Green construction is the practice of developing energy efficient buildings wherein design and construction professionals use environment friendly methods for constructing the buildings. The main aim of architects, engineers and contactors remains at saving the consumption of energy, water, electricity and other important resources at the time of construction and post construction which proves highly beneficial for building owners and for our built-environment as well.
There is a huge necessity of creating awareness about green construction and its advantages for our environment, as green buildings are still developed rarely across the world.
Tools and techniques used in green construction
- Development of green buildings is impossible in the absence of advanced software such as Revit and Tekla.
- Both these software are utilized by design and construction professionals for creating energy analytical models.
- Energy analytical models can be developed with the information contained in 3D parametric Building Information Models.
- Energy analytical models which are either developed in Revit or in Tekla are utilized by design and construction professionals for creating energy simulations and for conducting energy analysis.
- Depending upon project requirement energy analysis can be conducted during early design phase and also during late design development.
- The energy analysis which is conducted during early design phase remains very crucial for architects and engineers because they can easily make change to the design.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design commonly referred as LEED plays a major role in the development of green buildings.
- LEED which is created by U.S. Green Building Council is nothing but set of rating systems.
- It is very helpful when it comes to the design, construction, and operations of green buildings.
The contemporary design development process is a way too advanced than traditional design methods and file linking system remains its indispensable part. Availability of effective information remains at the centre of constructive design development and file linking is the most common method of availing information. For monitoring elements of a host project and a linked project Copy/Monitor tool is tremendously paramount. Copy/Monitor tool resides under collaborate tab within coordinate panel and is utilized by AEC professionals either during coordination review process or at the time of interference checking.
Copy and monitor elements when a file is linked to host model
• Here is an example of how to monitor elements when a structural model is linked by Revit modelers in architectural model.
• The most important thing in this case is to access Copy/Monitor tool that is available in coordination panel of collaborative tab.
• Under copy monitor tool we have two options one is ‘Use Current Project’ and another one is ‘Select Link’
• If users want to copy and monitor the elements within a host project they must use ‘Use Current Project’ tool. This tool is basically used by the users when many people work on same project.
• On the other hand ‘Select Link’ tool can be used by Revit users for selecting the elements of a linked file which can be copied by them in their current project or else they can be simply monitored by them. Elements of linked file can be selected and then compared to the elements of the existing project.
• Now what process should be applied by users if they want to copy monitor grids and columns that are contained in the structural model which is linked in the architectural model.
• Well users should select the structural Link with the assistance of ‘Select Link’ tool.
• After this users should select copy tool for selecting structural grids and columns.
• So once the objects that users want to copy into your project are selected they should click on to ‘Finish’ option that is present in the Option bar.
• In this way elements can be copied from a linked model and can be placed in a host project. These elements can be manipulated by the users very easily as per their requirements.
AutoCAD is an exceptionally important Autodesk product that is largely used by design professionals for developing construction drawings. The metamorphosis of drafting process from manual drafting to digital drafting can be largely attributed to AutoCAD. AutoCAD’s quirky and distinctive tools have great potential to assist CAD drafters in developing pristine construction drawings. Apart from BIM, CAD is undisputedly accountable for transforming AEC industry. AutoCAD assist design and construction professionals in the spontaneous development of architectural, structural and MEP drawings.
Process of connecting a railing to a stair in AutoCAD
- The first step that should be taken by AutoCAD users is to open the program.
- AutoCAD users are now required to open the ‘Content Browser’ which can be done by pressing Ctrl+4.
- After that, within Content Browser users should open ‘Design Tool Catalog-Metric.’ Under this users can select ‘Railings Category’ and ‘Stairs and Railings’ group.
- Users should now identify and select ‘Guardrail’ from the same menu bar.
- Once it is identified by users they should drag it to drawing area of AutoCAD or AutoCAD drawing area.
- Before inserting the rail into the drawing area users should approach ‘Properties Palette’ and establish ‘Attached to’ parameter for Stairs.
- Once ‘Attached to’ parameter is established, it automatically activates ‘Automatic placement’ parameter for which users are required to select ‘yes.’
- On the other hand for the ‘Side offset’ they are required to set a value to ’50.’
- After this users should select the ‘Stair’ and insert it in the project with the assistance of ‘Enter’ button.
- For viewing the result, users must shift to 3D view.
- For a more convenient overview users are required to select on the screen ‘Railings and Stairs.’ After this they should click on to the ‘Lamp’ icon that lies in the right lower corner of AutoCAD’s drawing area and then use ‘Isolated Objects’ command within its menu.
- With the assistance of this command all objects are disappeared from the screen except Stair and Railing. This clearly shows the stairs attached to the railing in the view.
If the above steps are swiftly followed by AutoCAD users they can successfully connect a stair to a railing in AutoCAD.
Shared coordinates are indispensable when it comes to tackling the geometrical positioning of a linked model in Revit. It is imperative to share coordinates of host model and linked models for understanding the positioning of numerous interlinked files in a Revit project. When same shared coordinates are not shared by the linked and host project then users have problem in locating the center of the imported geometry in current view.
Revit’s shared positioning tools are optimized by its users for dealing with positioning issues.
Appropriate methods of using shared coordinates
- The first thing that must be known to all Revit users is that it hardly matters if they obtain shared coordinates from a linked model or a host model.
- But the fact remains that they have to acquire shared coordinates from one single file.
- The file from where shared coordinates are acquired by users defines the coordinates for the rest of the files contained in a project.
- Revit users are suggested to acquire coordinates form an individual file and these coordinates can then be published by them in other files.
- If in case users want to obtain and publish coordinates from linked model they are required to select linked model in the host project.
- Once linked model is selected by Revit users in a host model, they are then required to open Instance Properties Dialog.
- In the Instance Properties dialog box users are suggested to find out ‘Not Shared’ button.
- Not Shared button is located right next to Shared Location Parameters.
- Not Shared button indicates that coordinates are not shared by linked and host models.
- Revit users are required to click on to ‘Not Shared’ button.
- Once Not Shared button is selected by users Revit displays Select Location Dialog box.
- Since Revit users are trying to share the coordinates of a linked and a host model for the first time now they are suggested to reconcile the coordinates either according to host or linked model.
- Revit users now have to select between ‘Publish ’or ‘acquire. ’ If publish is selected by them then they end up publishing the coordinates of a host model in the linked model. And the coordinates of the linked model changes according to the coordinates of a host model.
- However if ‘Acquire’ is selected by users they end up acquiring the coordinates of the linked model to the host model.
In this way coordinates are appropriately shared by Revit users depending upon their requirement.
File positioning is nothing but the process of placing or locating the newly linked files in specific locations in ongoing Revit project. While creating 3D models in Revit, a lot of additional information apart from clients’ specifications is required by project execution team. Such information is always received by the service providing company in different file formats. Indexing and scaling of these files is required before linking or importing them to Revit project.
What is Indexing?
Indexing is the process of converting a raw format file into a Revit readable file format. So the scanned data which is often obtained in raw format files is normally converted to .rcp file or .rcs file formats. Both .rcp file or .rcs file formats can be easily linked to current project by Revit users.
• .rcp file stands for Reality Capture Project File
• And .rcs file stands for Reality Capture Scan file
• In a .rcp format file multiple .rcs files are contained
File positioning in Revit
Auto- Center to Center: While importing a point cloud file in Revit, its users have to select the location of the file before importing it in the project. In other words Revit users have to decide where to place the file in Revit project once it is imported, so depending upon that they have to select a location such as ‘Auto-Center to Center.’ When ‘Auto- Center to Center’ is selected by Revit users, it helps in placing the center of point cloud bounding box into the center of models bounding box. However sometimes what happens is the model lacks visibility and due to which this center point also lacks visibility in current view. To make it visible Revit users should set Zoom to Zoom view. This assists in placing the view in the center of Revit model.
Auto- Origin to Origin: ‘Auto- Origin to Origin’ is also used for portioning linked models in current Revit models. ‘Auto-Origin to Origin’ option is optimized by Revit users for easily aligning the project base points of both the host model and linked model.
Auto- By shared coordinates: By using ‘Auto- By Shared Coordinates’ Revit users can place the point cloud origin to the origin of shared coordinates. Revit users can access it with the assistance of survey base point.
Above mentioned are some of the options that are present in Revit for importing and placing the files in the current project.
Well it is certainly good news for all the Architectural and engineering firms working on the BIM and CAD projects as AutoCAD has come up with a comprehensive software solution. AutoCAD Building Design Suit has different packages like Autodesk Building Design Suit standards, Autodesk Building Design Suit premium and Autodesk Building Design Suit ultimate. The difference is made on the basis of number of software in a package. The best part is that all the important software’s that support both BIM and CAD files are added in one or the other package. It’s really a winning situation for companies providing engineering services like Architectural, structural and MEP services to the clients.
Description of some of the important software provided by Autodesk Building Design Suit
AutoCAD is Autodesk’s one of the most important and largely used software across the world. It is used by the engineers for the designing purposes for designing and drafting.
Autodesk Revit Architecture which is premium software for architectural design is included in all the packages of Autodesk building design suit. The BIM software Revit provides high quality architectural designs for all sorts of projects like simple or complex. So any firm dealing with architectural design services should go for one of these software solution packages.
Autodesk Revit Structure is again very valuable BIM software meant for structural design and modeling purpose. With its assistance you can improve your design intent and quality. The structural design can also be communicated through this with the design team for better efficiency.
Autodesk Revit MEP which is used by Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Engineers working on a project MEP project. An Engineering firm dealing with the MEP projects can use this software to provide the quality MEP services to the clients. It is equipped with all the necessary design, analysis and documentation tools that support the project from the beginning till it ends.
Autodesk 3dx Max Design is used for reviewing design concepts and also for the purpose of visualization. One can create intensely attractive visuals for marketing. 3D rendering of a model can be done in it.
Autodesk Navisworks manager is very helpful when it comes to the coordination. It can coordinate different disciplines and can help you resolve clashes and coordination issues.
The Autodesk Building Design Suit has all the crucial software’s needed in the BIM and CAD projects. With the help of this comprehensive software solution all kind of BIM and CAD services can be provided or delivered to the clients. It only increases your project quality and takes it the next level.
The demand for Electrical CAD drafting services is growing in the market because of increasing competition.CAD drafting is nothing but the use of computer technology for generating engineering drawings. The companies dealing with the outsourcing CAD drafting services are gaining huge momentum due to this. Asian countries like India are turning the center of outsourcing AutoCAD drafting, providing all kinds of CAD drafting assistance. Electrical CAD drafting is an essential part of MEP drafting services and is needed in all sorts of building projects like residential, industrial and commercial.
Engineers, Architects and Contractors depend completely on accurate drawings to proceed to the next level.
Outsourcing Electrical CAD drafting services provide the following services
Electrical wiring drawings: electrical wiring is the wiring system for the transmission of electricity in any building infrastructure or electrical equipment. A company dealing with electrical AutoCAD drafting provides the detailed drawings of electrical wiring systems. The wiring system includes devices such as switches and meters etc.
During the designing phase wiring safety codes are given special attention. Wiring safety codes vary from country to country. To deal with this there is an increasing attempt by ‘international electronics commission’ to standardize wiring safety codes. These calculations are then incorporated in layouts which are in 2d format.
Circuit diagrams: A circuit diagram is also referred as elementary diagram. In circuit diagrams electrical circuit is shown graphically in most simplistic form. Simple pictures of the components can also be represented in the diagram.
Schematic diagrams: Electrical circuits can be represented through schematic diagrams as well. In these diagrams graphic symbols are used to show the elements of a system. These diagrams are crucial parts of electrical drafting and only necessary information is contained in them.
Electrical floor plans: Electrical floor plan drawings consist of all the necessary information related to the electrical plan of a particular floor. It shows in detail the wiring system of the floor along with placement of the switches and lighting fixtures etc.
Fire alarm systems layout drawings: Fire alarm system is very significant for the safety of any property. Since issues are given utmost importance in every project. CAD drafters’ provide detailed drawings of the fire alarm system this helps immensely during construction.
Electrical CAD drafting is an added advantage for the Architects and engineers since CAD drawings are easy to generate. All that is required is the expertise in handling the software.
Architectural Building Design codes and Standards represent the minimum specification criteria used for design or development of Architecture. The main purpose to implement these codes in Architectural Buildings is to ensure and protect the health, safety and general welfare of its occupants. These building standards differ according to the location, climatic condition and typical aesthetic taste. Kind of materials used, construction type or home type is determined according to standard. For e.g. these Codes will differ for a construction in USA or Australia; being residential or commercial; wooden or steel. How does a CAD outsourcing services company cope up with this challenge?
Design, construction and maintenance of any building (residential or commercial) are done in accordance with these standards. Architects and Engineers are responsible for proper implementation of these codes and standards while providing building design services.
Building codes are followed from the commencement of the design phase to the onsite implementation of these codes. Companies providing pre-construction CAD outsourcing services such as Architectural Design Services, BIM services, CAD Drafting Services, Construction Drawing services and MEP services should monitor and ensure that the architectural designs developed by them is in accordance with the compliance applicable for that location.
For companies providing CAD outsourcing services offshore, following and implementing compliance poses to be a huge constraint. Understanding and implementing international codes take time and requires on shore assistance while providing Architectural design services and construction drawing services. These standards provide a certain size, number or placement of the components or parts which makes design decisions easier.
Architectural Building standards and Codes are subjective to change so the Companies, Architects or Engineers should always keep themselves updated. The changes depend upon many factors such as needs, environment changes, energy sources, population etc. at that location.
Most of the standards are applied to the new constructions being done but if own a building (Residential or commercial) which is more than 50% damaged then you need a renovation to be done following the Architectural Building codes and standards. Below are some of the Building codes and standards being followed worldwide:
- The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- The International Code Council – ICC
- International Building Code (IBC)
- International Fire Code (IFC)
- Uniform building code (or UBC)
- International Building Code (IBC
- The International Residential Code (IRC)
- International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
It is our wholesome responsibility to follow these standards and codes thus ensuring safety and protection of the people.
Tesla CADD UK provide Building design services or CAD outsourcing services in-depth. With an onshore presence and an Architectural team in house, building design codes and its implementation is one of our major strengths. We are also into Building code analysis, Planning and construction drawing services.