With rapid technical advancement and need to deliver quick turnaround time of construction projects, it has become imperative for contractors, consulting firms, and Architectural Design firms etc. to shift from CAD to BIM Modeling. BIM owing to its parametric modeling properties, ability to provide building data along with 3D geometry has compelled companies to make shift from cad drafting services to virtual construction modeling technology.
Revit Family Creation Services
Family templates are very crucial for developing different types of architectural, structural and MEP components as they contain every bit of imperative information that is required by Revit technicians for starting family creation process. When Revit family creation services are executed by design and construction professionals they fallow a very systematic and organized method during which they first have to effectively plan the family.
Planning is a very important aspect of developing loadable families and in-place families as this leads to sorting out doubts regarding the shape, size and dimensions of going to be developed components.
Family template is chosen after following steps are effectively completed by users
- Revit technicians should find out all the information about the size and dimensions of the family.
- After that they should decide whether the component or the family (architectural, structural MEP component) which they are developing in family editor tool requires any host or not.
- Design and construction professionals should also have all the information about the display of the family in different views, as it largely affects the creation of geometry.
- Once all these things are decided effectively, design and construction professionals can easily select the right family template for developing loadable families and in-place families.
- When it comes to the selection of family templates, host-based family templates are used extensively by Revit users for the development of different kinds of architectural, structural and MEP components.
- Host based family templates are those family templates which provide crucial information to Revit technicians about the components which are hosted by them.
- For example, wall-based family template is a host-based template which provides extensive information about those elements which are hosted in a wall such as doors.
- That means when a door family is developed by Revit technicians, no other family template remains that crucial to them as wall-based family template.
So in this way if the family is effectively planned, Revit users automatically get to know which template should be selected by them.
Family creation is an intrinsic and integral part of Revit projects especially Revit modeling projects, wherein families are essential for completing a model. But before developing any sort of family in Revit Family Editor, Revit users have to consider various factors that can affect its precise development. Development of a loadable family is largely controlled or determined by the family template chosen by Revit users for its creation. Family templates primarily and principally serve as building blocks which contain pivotal and paramount information for generating a family in Family Editor.
Factors considered by Revit users before developing loadable family
- Before going ahead with family development in Revit, its users are definitely required to give a thought in terms of its size.
- It largely depends on size variability of a given object that whether Revit users should develop an in-place family or a loadable family in Revit.
- For further clarification let me give you an example, if in case Revit users want to create a bookshelf which can obviously be created of any size or length, they can always go for developing a standard component family. However, if users are required to develop a custom piece of certain equipment that does not come in different configurations you have to create an in-place family and not a loadable family.
- Another important thing that is considered by Revit users is that how they want the family to be displayed multiple views.
- The geometry creation of a family is largely determined by the way it displays in a view. So it must be determined by Revit users that where they will display their family for example in an elevation view, plan view or it will be displayed in a section views.
- The next thing that should also be given a thought is whether a family requires a host or not. This helps Revit users in determining an appropriate family template for the family in question. For example a window family is generally hosted by a wall so it determines that a wall-based family template must be chosen by users for creating a window family.
- Revit users should also remain aware regarding the amount of details that should be modeled by them in the family.
If the above mentioned points are clear to Revit users they will definitely end up creating effective loadable families in Revit.