In the United Kingdom, wherein construction sector is growing very rapidly these days, the government wants AEC industry to optimize Building Information Modeling for the execution of every single project by 2016. The government of UK is playing a very proactive role in its infrastructural development projects and strongly believes that by digitalizing design documentation things can be streamlined tremendously.
The government of UK is well aware of the potential benefits of Building Information Modeling, and hence it believes that its implementation can help in save approximately 15-20% of project cost. The government is spending huge sums of money in the execution of capital projects and hence wants to make best use of it with the implementation of BIM.
A few facts about the UK government’s construction strategy:
- Under UK government’s industrial strategy, it recognizes construction as a highly important sector.
- According to a report construction sector was accountable for generating huge revenue in the year 2010.
- Hence in the year 2011 the government came up with a proposal wherein it stated that both private and public sector construction projects must be executed with the implementation BIM by the year 2016.
- After this initiative was facilitated by the government, a large number of private players rapidly started using Building Information Modeling as a necessary construction strategy.
- In the UK both government and The Construction Industry Council are trying to encourage the implementation of Building Information Modeling in construction business for encouraging the productivity of the industry and for saving costs.
- It is believed that with the implementation of BIM, the asset cost can be reduced greatly whereas the operational efficiency can be enhanced.
- Last but not least, the UK is trying its best to optimize BIM in design, construction and operations of buildings.