Traditionally building designs was largely reliant upon two-dimensional technical drawings which made it a costly, cumbersome and tedious affair. However, with the introduction of the concept Building Information Modelling, the life of construction professionals has become easy. BIM includes creating drawings and models along with light analysis such as displaying the properties of components used, quantities, geographic information etc. It can be thus called a concept or a technology useful for construction management professionals which connects, organize and optimizes the project.
BIM 360 is a platform where the users can share and access project data in real-time. Users from anywhere in the globe can collaborate with other users at any point any time in the cloud. Since there is always a second thought about the safety and privacy of the data on the cloud, BIM 360 has made it a point to make the data in the software highly secured. This software can be used for small, medium and large scale construction and designing purpose. It is supported by windows, android and iOS formats.
Advantages for using BIM 360:
BIM 360 has a user-friendly interface which allows the professionals involved in a project to enable a virtual information model to be handed from the design team to the main contractor and then to the owner/operator. Professionals at each stage have the ability to add discipline-specific data to the single shared model. This helps in the reduction of information loss which used to be a major issue before the invent of BIM 360.
BIM 360 has additional features where it can predict hazards and proactively manage its quality. BIM 360 provides unlimited storage for 3D and 2D project information. It centralizes the project data making it available whenever you need.
It broadens this concept beyond (3D), where supplementing the measurements like width, height and depth with scheduling is the fourth dimension (4D) and the cost is the fifth dimension (5D).
All the more there are likewise references to a sixth dimension (6D) which represents environmental and sustainability analysis and seventh dimension (7D) which represents life cycle facility management aspect.
Usually, for on-field professional’s mobile versions are available so data can be accessed and worked on with the help of a mobile device. Data once synced is accessible offline. Unlimited projects can be managed in one single account. BIM 360 can store unlimited project data in one single account. One can enable to share their work with multidisciplinary teams where each one can get updates of the changes done, manage designs throughout the lifecycle of the project. BIM 360 has added advantages of reducing risk, improving quality and deliver projects in time and budget. It boosts the pace of decision making because BIM 360 can predict project outcomes. It also helps you stay on schedule and control cost since any rework which is required can be implemented then and there.
Approach to put BIM 360 to use:
BIM 360 can be used for multiple purposes such as model comparison, document control and management, design review etc. The procedures to work on these following is mentioned below in points.
- Model Comparison
Procedure for model comparison
- After opening BIM 360 software, upload versions of the 3D model or PDF file that you want to compare by clicking on the Upload button.
- Select the Revit option present in the leftmost panel for accessing 3D models whereas for 2D files, select the PDF option.
- Upon selecting the Revit option, the uploaded 3D models will appear.
- Select one of the two versions that you wish to compare.
- After selecting the model, the entire model will be visible.
- Click on compare.
- After selecting compare option, select the appropriate versions of both the models that you want to compare and click on Compare.
- As per user defined graphics, changes are visible as shown below –
Elements added – Green colour
Elements modified – Yellow colour
Elements deleted – Red colour
- Document Control and Management
- Users can access the data in the cloud if they have the appropriate credentials, this way we can monitor the users who can access the data.
- One can find all the project documents such as 2D plans, 3D models etc. at one place.
- The document library has a separate folder structure for 2D documents and 3D models.
- Design Review
- One can review the files on cloud, achieve any level of accuracy, and provide with mark-ups to the other user.
- The purpose of using BIM 360 for design review is to ensure that every drawing and model is accurate before construction begins.
- Linear, angle and area measurements can be performed on drawings or models to communicate measurements via mark-ups.
- Shapes and mark-ups can be added in drawings and models to communicate effectively with the team.
Construction professionals have the burden and pressure to deliver successful projects irrespective of strict spending plans, limited manpower, accelerated schedules and limited or conflicting information. They have to make sure that the architectural, structural and MEP designs have to be well-coordinated as two things cannot occur at a similar spot and time. BIM Services can moreover help in BIM Coordination and Clash Detection Services, recognizing the definite area of inconsistencies. BIM 360 can thus be seen as an effective and useful software for the smooth workflow and management of construction projects aiding the construction professionals to deliver successful projects.